Top Menu

Drivers complain of stolen car parts and damages

Abu Dhabi: Did you ever notice a part missing or broken, or a scratch from one end of your car to the other? Well, you're not the only one.

Many motorists in the capital have complained that they often find some parts of their vehicles missing in the parking lots.

Motorists have suggested having some surveillance system in place in paid parking areas to ensure safety of vehicles.

A Gulf News investigation revealed that emblems, antennae, side mirrors, hub caps and wheel caps are the most stolen exterior car parts as they are relatively easy to remove.

"I live in Khalifa Street next to the Adnic building. Recently, I found out that somebody used some tools, maybe a screwdriver, and took off my car's emblem while it was parked in a paid parking area," said Sujin, a motorist.

This was not an isolated incident. Many others shared similar experiences with Gulf News.

"I have a BMW, and had the exact same experience," a young Emirati who parked his car in the same parking lot said. "Counterfeit emblems are not available in the market, so I think there is a mafia that steals them and sells them as they are quite expensive," he added.

‘Right information'

A Pakistani resident said: "I had the same experience last week, my car's emblem was stolen as well. It's a Mercedes."

Mercedes and BMW emblems are the most frequently stolen items.

A Jordanian resident added: "I had a Mercedes and lost its emblem a number of times, but since I have switched to Audi, it never happened again, either because the logo is too big to be stolen or they simply aren't interested in it."

A British resident shared his experience saying: "Two months ago I noticed that my car's Mercedes sign was missing. It was cut with a sharp tool, yet not dismantled, which left a dent on my car."

"Victims of such incidents should come forward to the police so that we have the right information and relevant statistics to deal with the situation and apprehend the culprits," an official from the police told Gulf News.

The incidents do not seem to be restricted to Khalifa area. An Egyptian in Khalidiya had a similar experience.

"The antenna of my car, a Volvo, and the covers of the headlight and wipers were stolen in three different incidents," I.S. said. "Nothing is safe… radios, cassette players and CD players are also frequently stolen items from inside cars as well.

"Even tyres were stolen from my trailer," said Abdullah, an Emirati who owns a cargo transportation company. "I never expected anyone would steal a tyre or a battery but it has happened quite often," he claimed.

Few complaints

Few residents actually filed complaints with the police regarding such e incidents. Only two of the residents Gulf News spoke to had done so.

"I filed a complaint at the Mina police station; the policeman was very courteous and concerned. He did his best to support my insurance claim," Sujin said.

"I didn't bother to call the police because I'm sure they are busy with more important things," the British resident said.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment