Top Menu

Court jails two men for 'consensual' sex with woman

Dubai: The Dubai Court of First Instance Thursday acquitted two men of kidnap but convicted them of having consensual sex with a Turkmen businesswoman, who claimed they raped her.

The court jailed the defendants, M.G., a 41-year-old Russian businessman, and T.Q., his 26-year-old Tajik friend, for one year after modifying the charge from rape to consensual sex.

Presiding Judge Hamad Abdul Latif Abdul Jawad also jailed M.G. for an additional month and fined him Dh5,000 for assaulting the 26-year-old businesswoman. He faces another month in jail for consuming liquor as well.

"The accused will be deported after serving their punishments. The court has also overthrown the claimant's civil lawsuit," said Presiding Judge Abdul Jawad, pronouncing yesterday's verdict in courtroom four.

Earlier, defending himself in court, M.G. has argued: "That is absolutely not true. I didn't rape her or lock her up in a villa against her will. We had consensual sex."

His Tajik friend, T.Q., contended: "I am not guilty. Her accusations are baseless and malicious. I did not rape her. It was consensual sex."

Prosecutors had charged M.G. with kidnapping the businesswoman, N.A., and locking her up in his villa against her will. M.G. and T.Q. were jointly accused of raping N.A., while the Russian was also charged with consuming liquor. M.G. admitted that he consumed two beers.

N.A. testified that she got acquainted with the businessman in Sharjah Airport eight months prior to the incident.

"When I met him, he gave me his number and asked me to call him anytime I needed a lift… I lived in Bur Dubai and worked in Naif. He drove me from home to work several times during a period of eight months. On the day of the incident, he did not drop me home but took me to his villa and locked me up. He repeatedly asked to have sex with me, but I refused. Then he beat me and raped me repeatedly while he kept me at his place. The next day T.Q. came with him and he raped me as well," N.A. claimed to prosecutors.

According to her statement, N.A. said she failed to escape, from the house because it was properly locked. She claimed she could not resist the defendants while they were raping her because they overpowered her.

The court dismissed her civil lawsuit in which she sought Dh20,000 in temporary compensation against alleged emotional and psychological damage.

The verdict remains subject to appeal within 15 days.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment