Top Menu

Trio deny impersonating policemen

Dubai: Three men have denied posing as policemen, kidnapping a Pakistani worker and stealing Dh700 and his mobile phone before leaving him in Sharjah and fleeing.

Prosecutors accused the defendants, a 37-year-old Emirati and two Pakistanis aged 33 and 24, of forcibly kidnapping the worker, M.A., in Dubai and driving him to a sandy area in Sharjah where they left him after stealing his money and mobile phone.

The three defendants pleaded not guilty and denied the accusations when they defended themselves in the Dubai Court of First Instance Sunday.

According to the charge sheet, prosecutors said 33-year-old B.A. and 24-year-old I.A. beat up M.A. and posed as policemen. Then they forced him into 37-year-old H.M.'s car. The trio was charged with kidnapping M.A. and assaulting him inside the car before stealing his belongings, then throwing him out of the vehicle and fleeing.

Sting operation

The worker testified that the incident happened while he was sitting in a parking lot in Hor Al Anz.

"It was 9pm when B.A. and I.A. walked up to me and claimed to be policemen… when I asked them for their police ID, they asked me to shut up. Then one of them asked me to present my personal identification papers.

"Suddenly they grabbed me by my arms and forced me into the Emirati man's car. They told me that they would take me to the police station and call my sponsor to come. They refused to explain anything to me when I asked them why they wanted to take me to the police station.

"They drove to the highway which leads to the Maleeha area… then they stopped at a sandy spot. They assaulted me, stole my belongings, then they threw my wallet out of the car and left. Initially I did not resist because I believed that they were policemen…" M.A. claimed during prosecution questioning.

An Emirati lieutenant testified that police first arrested H.M., who was identified from his car plate number. The Emirati defendant cooperated with the police to arrest B.A. and I.A. in a sting operation.

The court will assign a lawyer to defend the suspects when it reconvenes on September 20.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment